Monday, April 20, 2009

A Change of Scenery



See below... this was Nina's amazing feat for the day.
She crossed the entire bridge and decided she needed to do it again.
With other kids going back and forth behind her, she made her way back across the moving bridge all by herself!




4/20/2009

Well, I finally had enough of the old apartment and its lack of an elevator, non-funtioning stove/oven and lack of other amenities. Nina and I moved across the street from the old apartment and it's awesome. It's like moving from a dirty, smokey motel to the Four Seasons! And, it's only $5 more per night. I think we'll manage. Nina and I are still on budget. We're cutting out daily coffees! Nina is so funny. We now leave the apartment and the first thing she will ask is "mommy, coffee?" How quickly they catch on! Of course, she was right. We went to our favorite little local bakery for coffee and Nina's newly found favorite... blueberry muffins. Karly has a kindred spirit since those are one of Karly's favorites as well.

She was so good while we hassled with the move. We didn't complete the task and get out until 1 o'clock. For her, it was torcher. She loves being outside amongst all the activity and noise and people. We spent the day at the park. I purchased some sand toys (buckets, shovels, etc.) She was thrilled and spent two hours simply playing in the sand. I finally pulled her out of the sand and encouraged her to move. She was hesitant at first because there were so many kids running around. Then, she asked to try everything. And, of course, I helped her try everything she asked to do. Her last achievement was skillfully making her way across this bridge that hangs from chains so that each slat of the bridge wiggles. She was timid at first and there were lots of kids passing back and forth on the bridge around her. She would grasp tightly to the handle and ask for help. Then, off she would go. Once she successfully made it across the first time, she went back across! There was one little boy who tried to tell her to move and then proceeded to pull her hands off the railing! I stepped up to say something to him, and his mom jumped in and scolded him. He moved on. However, Nina decided next to go down the slide. She did this, but he came down right after her and pushed her down. I think he was being intentionally mean to Nina. She started crying, and I brushed off her hands and pants and directed her to a new activity. She quickly recovered... she's amazing! I know that's not the last of the mean people she will encounter, and she shouldn't dwell on them.

We came back to the apartment, stopping first at our favorite bakery for bread only! Dinner, bath and dry hair! We love hair dryers. I wondered if Nina had her hair dried with a blow dryer at the orphanage? She sure did like it--just like Mia and Karly used to love getting their hair dried when they were younger. Nina had a very hard time going to bed tonight, and it may have been the new apartment. I stayed with her, but she just cried until she fell asleep--still whimpering. That breaks my heart, but I knew she was tired. I read a book and sang to her, but she kept crying. I know the move to the apartment was a good thing. Her knee was hurting her again today. And, after the park, I think even she appreciated the elevator. She doesn't really like to be carried, and the stairs were sometimes too much for her at the end of the day. It was a good move. We'll just take it one day at a time! Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is an amazing feat. What a determined little thing! Too cute. When are you guys coming home? I can't wait to meet her. The girls and I continue to lift up you and your family in prayer each morning.

    ReplyDelete