Wednesday, April 22, 2009

We're in the Home Stretch




I love these pictures... just having good kid time. And, "look mom, I'm running!" Gotta love it!











4/22/2009
I have to add a comment about the zebra outfit and give credit where it should given. As we were gathering things to come to the Ukraine, it occurred to me that we didn't have any clothes for Nina. I looked in the stores for winter clothing, but as you all know, Texas is not really the place to look for REAL winter clothing, especially in March. A friend of ours, Anne, offered some of her girls' clothes that she had saved. I selected a few little outfits and that was one of them. She actually left the orphanage in that outfit! When we get home, Nina has some more clothes from Anne waiting in her closet. Anne, many thanks!
Well, it's official. Nina's new name is Nina Louise Post. I'm not sure if we mentioned that before or not. But, Natalia, our attorney, just called me, and she is filling out the paperwork for the passport. Nina Louise Post will be entering the United States of America on Saturday, April 25th if all goes well. Tickets have been purchased for our trip home. We opted to fly to New York on Saturday and spend the night. We will fly into San Antonio on Sunday afternoon. This will alleviate some travel stress, I think/I hope. Travelling for 20 hours is hard on anyone but especially a toddler who doesn't understand what is happening.

Today, we went for our typical coffee and blueberry muffin. Then, we walked the city some more. We ended up at this statue called the Golden Gate. Apparently, it's the entry to the city from the 9th Century. They have obviously updated things. Nina walked all over the plaza there. We returned to the apartment to change and meet Natalia at Maydan. Before she arrived, we discovered new streets and bought some bubbles. One of my favorite things is turning down a street that we have passed a million times only to discovered it's the short route to all the places we've been going! We hung out at Maydan, blowing bubbles, people watching, dog watching. Then, Natalia arrived. We had to go to the bank and take care of some account stuff. Then, as she returned us to our apartment, we stopped at our favorite bakery for more bread. The day ended with playtime in the little community park area outside of our apartment. Nina so enjoys that time. The day is done... bath, dinner, bed.
Nina sat in my lap tonight as I was doing some work on the computer. She is precious, and just like my aunt told me (who has kept kids for years) that all kids are the same. They have to go to the bathroom, eat, sleep and play in-between. She's right. The language barrier has not been an issue thus far. It may be one down the road, but really she is like any kid this age. She has to have help and direction... me, too!

Even as great as she is, Nina had a very hard, emotional day. She cried about everything! I recognized that most of the crying occurred when she didn't get what she wanted! I think she may be tired. Early bedtime is good. Tomorrow, we have to go to the final medical appointment at 8:00am. Nina has a little rash under her left arm. And, there are bumps all down her left side. My best guess is that the detergent is irritating her. It is nothing serious, and I am praying it doesn't effect the medical appointment tomorrow. If all goes well there, we will head straigh to the US Embassy from there. They will issue us her passport later in the day, or we will have to pick it up on Friday. Apparently, the embassy is somewhat unpredictable. Hopefully, we will still get the passport and be allowed to leave by Saturday. I am feeling the heart's-tug toward home. Our adventure is coming to an end... at least the Ukrain part! I know the Lord has so much more in store for us, and I'm praying that my heart will remain open to Him.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! We can't wait to see you guys! I know the home stretch is sometimes the hardest. Partly because you are just ready to be home when it seems so close. And also because the next few days are pretty intense with all the appts and travel. Take snacks and something for her to do at the Embassy appt. Ours took several hours. Will you have another adult go in with you to help with her while you fill out paperwork? Ask Natalia to help you do as much as possible before you go in. The medical appt may take a few hours too so you will want entertainment. Just FYI :) I love that you two have had this bondathon - great term for it. What a precious time that you will always treasure - even with the toddler tantrums and such :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "look mom, I'm running!" photo--Maybe you will have a faithful runner to join you on your early morning outings!!! My heart swells when I see your updates.
    You'll be able to ditch those jackets when you get back home--it is 96 in New Braunfels today. Nina will wonder why her parents live so near the SUN!!! Aunt Lizzy

    ReplyDelete