Friday, April 17, 2009

Mom and Nina in Kiev

4/16/2009
Nina is napping, and just as with the others, I am relishing this quiet time. She had a very rough morning, although she is still so incredibly amazing. I have learned her “currency”… her shoes. When she misbehaves, I can take her shoe off very calmly. She does not like this. She will concede and so far obey. I only use that for things like playing with the washing machine, sticking her fingers in plugs, trying to open the back door to the balcony, turning the gas stove on… dangerous things.

She does eat dirt. I have not figured that one out. I think it is a sign of defiance, because the caregivers were very concerned about the children staying clean. I don’t think she was really allowed in the dirt. But, at the park this morning, she put it into her and chewed it. I thought it was gross and told her so. She continued to eat it and laugh. Again, I think she was assuming she was “getting to me” by eating it. I finally explained the best I could that it was gross and not good for her. I redirected her attention elsewhere. Later, she did it again. I will need help with that one!

Nina awakened at regular time this morning, 6:30am! And, she was sad when we didn’t jump up and put our clothes on. I did the best I could, moving as fast as I could. But, I realized she was hungry. We had breakfast and put our clothes on. Then, while I was getting ready, she had some “book time.” She will play pretend with her doll and empty water bottles. She is very imaginative, which is incredible! Again, she never ceases to amaze.

After wrestling stroller and all down the stairs, we made it outside. She walked for a while then conceded to the stroller. We walked to the park and played. Then, she had a meltdown, nothing unusual. We had a little snack, crackers dipped in dirt! Then, we had another meltdown and went for coffee… me not Nina. She had another little snack and some water. She walked through the middle of the square. She, of course, pushed the stroller. Then, we had another breakdown over some stairs. So we headed back to the apartment, stopping on the way for fruit and pigs-in-blankets and more water. We made it to the apartment, climbing stairs with a bag of stuff, stroller and Nina (who was so exhausted I carried her up the stairs as well.) We had lunch, and I set a bowl of fruit on the table. We talked about the fruit names, and she wanted all of it. She finally understood that we were finished with lunch.

Nina is a fabulous helper, and she helped me start a load of laundry. That was an adventure for her. I hope that she naps well, and we can step out for a good dinner and possibly to find a few blocks or puzzles. She needs a few toys here in the apartment, since I found out that we will receive her passport no earlier than Wednesday of next week. This means we will most likely head home on Friday at the earliest. It will probably be Saturday. Big Nina instructed me to NOT book any tickets to home until the passport is on the train for delivery here in Kiev. By then, Little Nina might think this is her final destination!!! I think I will nap for a little. She is so precious when she is sleeping.

I return… Nina is asleep for the night…

Well, post-nap has always been one of my favorite times of the day with my kiddos and now Nina included. After tears from awakening, she had a snack and we headed out to find a few “personal” items and eat dinner. I have noticed that she prefers me to carry her. The stairs here in the apartment are more than challenging for her. So upon occasion, I have given in to her requests. But at the bottom, she chooses to walk. This evening, however, she reached the outdoors and all of the chaos of the city streets, and quickly decided to “take the stroller.” She road in the stroller the entire evening. At one point, I encouraged her to walk but she refused. Something is telling me that she is starting to recognize the differences in her feet and legs from all of the other feet and legs on the streets. I have observed her looking down at her feet and looking up at other’s and looking down again at her own. Soon after I saw her doing this, she asked to be put in the stroller. I don’t really know… but she is very intelligent. As they said at the orphanage, she will be a professor some day. I think that was it!

On our second adventure for the day, we went through the city to the stores underground. We found a few things, including some pink fingernail polish that she picked out! We found a good place for dinner. A Ukrainian woman joined our table saying all kinds of things. I felt so bad then finally told her I did not understand. She started talking in English! Amazing!!! We visited briefly. She was so excited for Nina. She had watched Nina walk to our table and when she discovered that I was adopting her, she became so animated and lively in her conversation. I was so caught off guard! I think Nina was overwhelmed too. I enjoyed the adult interaction and the English. As we were leaving the woman jumped up from the table and kissed Nina. Nina just stood there, stunned. It was really very cute.

We came back to the apartment for Beauty School 101 and a bath. She LOVED bath time… the bath toys I brought were a huge hit! She has obviously washed herself, as she did NOT want my help. After I had already helped some, she had a meltdown. It happens. She quickly recovered when she received seven new pairs of panties with varying princesses on them. She carefully opened each one and gathered them into her lap and deemed them “Nina’s” with the largest of grins. (When was the last time you got excited over your stack of panties?) I thought back to our exit from the orphanage… she brought nothing. So, of course, the cartoon toothbrush that we purchased today was also a huge hit. She was desperate to open it and use it. I put it next to mine and she claimed with a smile, “Mama’s e Nina’s.”

She also gets to sleep with a ballerina doll and pretty much anything else she chooses… I thought she was going to sleep with a plastic water bottle and soup spoon and fork tonight. Thankfully, I was wrong. Only the ballerina doll stayed. After we read our book and said a verse and prayer, I stayed next to her to help her get to sleep (plus she smelled sweet and clean from her bath and yummy lotion. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to snuggle!) In bed, lights out, she played with the doll, turning it to watch the eyes open and close. She rubbed the silk ribbons between her fingers, like little girls do. It was so precious to watch. I think she has spent quiet hours in bed awake. She never got out of bed nor asked for anything… just wait until she learns a few things from our crew?!?!!? Maybe Nina will influence them instead?

She enjoys the adult attention, not just my attention, but the fact that we laugh and hang out together. She also mimics my every move, from how I brush my teeth and spit to how I rest my fork on my plate; unbeknownst to me, I turn it over on my plate! I caught her watching me, and she reached over and turned her fork over. Wow! Hopefully she won’t copy everything, but she’s running pretty close so far!!!

I am praying that she overcomes this fear of dogs because I’m not sure how to handle it. Dogs are so common in people’s houses, and she is terrified of them. Today, this one the size of my hand ran up the stairs towards her. When she saw him coming, she ran over to me screaming. I picked her up and her entire body was shaking. Maybe there’s some research on that topic???? There are also dogs barking all over the city, running loose and barking inside our building, and she comments on every bark and everyone she sees. She watches their every move and does all she can to avoid them. I’ll have to consult Mia on that one!!!

One other thing is that Nina regularly asks for food. I am trying to determine between true hunger and the desire for food because it’s available. She eats very fast and shovels food into her mouth; although after watching me, I noticed that her eating habits are slowly changing.

She has discovered the refrigerator! Thankfully, it’s slim pickin’s in there. This makes it less of a temptation. Tomorrow, Natalia (our attorney) is taking us to a larger grocery store. The only options nearby are restaurants and curbside stands. Hopefully, she will make it and we will go through another great adventure with Little Nina. Imagine her thoughts in a large building filled with isles upon isles of food!?!?!??

I’m off to shower since she is asleep. Hope all is well back home. I’ve had little contact. My phone has very few minutes and I’m too cheap to add any. And, the internet service is too expensive as well. Natalia said she might be able to bring a USB modem to me tomorrow. That would be awesome! I can’t wait for all of you to meet Nina. Unlike everyone here, I know she will be received and loved no matter what her little body looks like. I’m off to shower…Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh...Amy....I laughed my way through this "post". Starting with the eating of dirt to get back to you, and then the sleeping with a fork and the dog the size of your hand. And...I was still laughing from the "pupka" on the train. I know its tough but you are handling it so well...and with such a cheerful heart. I can hear your desire to communitcate and love her in your words. I can relate to so much of it....fyi, Hall LOVED his shoes when we first got him. :) Okay...hang in there...we cant wait to see you guys and meet Nina.

    ReplyDelete